Due to the nature of our work, we offer intervention services for new and current clients through J Southworth Interventions, LLC. As a company, we believe that an intervention is an orchestrated attempt by one, or often many, people to work with encouraging someone to seek professional help with an addiction, traumatic event or crisis, or other serious problem. We consider an intervention to be a powerful expression of love for an individual, where personal friends and family come together in support of recovery. The term intervention is most often used when the traumatic event involves addiction to drugs or other substances. Intervention can also refer to the act of using a technique within a therapy session.
Intervention services are often used to address personal problems, including: alcoholism, compulsive gambling, drug abuse, compulsive eating and other eating disorders, self-mutilation, tobacco smoking, "workaholism", and various types of poor personal care. Interventions have also been conducted due to personal habits, not as frequently considered seriously harmful, such as video game addiction, excessive computer gaming and out of control shopping.
At Southworth Associates, an intervention is facilitated by an experienced, skilled interventionist in a gentle and caring manner. Our interventionists blend the best elements of three models of rehab intervention:
- The ARISE Intervention Model involves family members in a collaborative intervention process that reduces guilt and blame and allows the family, interventionist, and dependent person to stay focused on helping the addict get into treatment.
- The JOHNSON Intervention Model raises the bottom for an addict, which is often death, by compassionately confronting the addict with the consequences of their addiction. The bottom is raised by precipitating a crisis in the addict's life that is not threatening, damaging, or fatal and compels them into treatment.
- The SYSTEMIC Intervention Model is an alternative to traditional confrontational intervention models because family, friends, and colleagues form a team to work with the dependent person and address the issues in a loving and respectful manner. It is a successful system precisely because the focus is on patient, but firm, coaching instead of negative confrontation.
Southworth Associates’ firm, but compassionate, and non-adversarial rehab intervention style helps raise the bottom for the addict to help compel them into treatment. At the same time, our rehab interventionists masterfully foster collaboration between the family and the individual without the crippling guilt and blame that often prevents people from seeking help. Our rehab interventionists help everyone stay focused on the hope for recovery that treatment brings.
By collaborating together as a group and focusing on the hope for recovery as a group, free from the normal guilt and shame associated with addictions, a Southworth Associates rehab intervention is as much a healing event for the group as it is the individual. Southworth Associates will provide professional recommendations for everyone affected by the disease of addiction and will work to serve the groups recovery needs.
How Southworth Addiction Intervention Services Work
The Southworth Associates team has developed a caring, proven approach to interventions that has a high recovery rate with dependent individuals who work with a member of the team through the entire coaching process.
While every intervention is different, a “typical” intervention starts with a concerned friend or family member calling a local treatment center or doing a quick internet search to get some information for their friend or loved one. Eventually they get referred to Southworth Associates:
- The concerned individual contacts Southworth Associates where a skilled member of our staff conducts a brief and confidential survey so they can get the caller in touch with one of our interventionists. We ask for some contact information and a few confidential questions so the interventionist can spend more time determining the needs of the IP (Interested Party). Sometimes the caller gets in touch with the interventionist first (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week) and then is directed to contact our office between 9 AM EST (East Coast) and 5 PM PST (West Coast) Monday through Friday.
- Our staff will send out a complimentary Intervention Information packet off to the caller by email, fax, or regular mail. Email is preferred because they caller can get the information as quickly as possible, as soon as we get off the phone.
- The concerned individual discusses their concerns with our Certified Interventionist and together they work to determine options and formulate the best course of action.
- If an intervention is called for, the friends and family prepare for the intervention by reading Love First and writing the letters. The interventionist makes the necessary travel arrangements and determines the fee based on expenses and services provided. A frequent question during the 1st step is “How much will an intervention cost?” Southworth Associates does not charge for its services until an intervention is planned.
- The night before the intervention, the participants (all except the IP) gather at the interventionist’s hotel for a 60-90 minute intervention rehearsal. The majority of the time is spent familiarizing the group with the process and going over the participant’s letters.
- The interventionist facilitates the intervention and often escorts the individual to the treatment facility. Southworth Associates requires that all individuals are escorted to the treatment facility, but that escort can be the interventionist and/or friends & family.
- The Southworth Associates staff monitors the individual’s progression through treatment and the interventionist offers assistance to the treatment facility and family as needed.
- Often the interventionist will make treatment recommendations for the rest of the family. This can range from attending the treatment facility's Family Program to attending a week-long Co-Dependency Workshop.
- After completion of treatment, the treatment facility provides the interventionist with a discharge summary and Southworth Associates offers after-care monitoring services to the family as part of the Recovery Enhancement Program (REP).